Sunday, April 4, 2010

Up the Nile: Day 2 (Luxor)

The second day of my adventure I rose before dawn again to visit the temple of Karnak.  I managed to sneak up to the hotel roof with a new buddy, which was in the process of being renovated, where I got to watch the rise of many hot-air balloons over Luxor temple in the distance near the rise where the Valley of the Kings is across the river.  Afterwards, we made it out to Karnak temple, which is 3 km away, at the other end of the avenue of spinxes, the remainders of which still sit in front of Luxor temple.  I didn't manage to get as good of pictures as I was with a group and the time of day wasn't ideal, but the pure scale of the temple complex was awe-inspiring.  I have left shots in with some people so you can get an idea of the size of everything in height, but it was also a sprawling complex back in the day.

Please note that I'm not going to expound on the history of these sites here.  I did get to hear lots about it, so it's not that I don't know and I definitely do care, but I think people need to do their own research and approach the historical information in their own way, as well as investigating various sources.  This area I was in has a rich past, and I don't think I can do it justice here in the blog.

Pictures from the hotel (including adorable towel-art the housekeepers kept doing), and Karnak:

No comments:

Post a Comment